Giants Head Mountain Trail Re-Development Plan
Expect to see activity on Giant’s Head Mountain as phases 1 and 2 of the Trails Redevelopment Plan construction is starting this fall (2018) and is targeted to be completed in the Spring (2019). These first two phases include trail improvements, trail decommissioning for erosion control, a new multi-use trail, improved guard rails, and park entrance improvements. This District of Summerland trails project, in partnership with the Rotary Club of Summerland, was planned in consultation with the community, user groups, and stakeholder groups with the goal of building a trail infrastructure system which meets both recreational and environmental needs over the next 10 years.
The Final Plan is available for downloading.
Please note some of the highlights of the Plan:
18-06-07 GHM Trails Re-Development Plan FINAL (22 MB PDF)
- Reconfigure the trail network, as follows:
- repair and prevent future erosion by installing crib steps and timber stairs on steepest trails
- create ‘The Grind,’ a hallmark hiking trail
- designate a multi-use trail for both hikers and mountain bikers on the east side of the mountain
- improve parking areas, main entry, and viewpoint access
- provide kiosks at Milne Rd. and upper parking areas with trailhead and park information
- upgrade amenities throughout the park, including benches, wayfinding and educational signage, and safety guardrails
If you have any questions or comments, please contact Lori Mullin, Recreation Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org or 250.494.0447.