Waste Reduction Week October 21-27, 2019
It’s Waste Reduction Week in Summerland!
Click here for the 2019 Event Poster
Reducing the amount of waste that we send to landfill is important not only for the environment, but for our economy as well. Landfill space is valuable and the more waste we create, the more expensive it is for our community to maintain the landfill over time.
The best way to avoid waste is to Reduce it in the first place by avoiding unnecessary purchases and packaging. The next best option to is to Reuse wherever possible by repurposing items, shopping second-hand, or donating items so they can continue to be used. Finally, Recycle or Compost all materials that are at their end of life. Check out http://wrwcanada.com/en for ideas on how you can reduce waste in your home or business!
To help celebrate Waste Reduction Week, Summerland is hosting the following events:
FREE Screening of: REUSE! Because You Can't Recycle the Planet
Monday, October 21, 7:00pm (doors open @6:45)
Arena Banquet Room (8820 Jubilee Rd. – upstairs; doors on SE corner of building)
This film isn't about our waste problem. It's about solutions. And they are everywhere!
We live in a challenging time. Climate change and mass consumption are threatening our planet's existence. Excessive extraction of natural resources has created immeasurable waste and pollution. This issue is complicated and imminent. While recognition and awareness is important, direct action is by far the most effective. But traditional recycling is not enough. The reuse mission offers a more sustainable solution that everyone can be a part of.
One-Day Downtown Recycling Depot
Saturday, October 26, 8am-3pm
Arena Recycling Compound (8820 Jubilee Rd.)
Certain items are able to be recycled but must be brought to the Summerland landfill (at no charge). For one day only some of these items can be dropped off at the Arena Recycling Compound instead. Come between 8am and 3pm to drop off your:
- Electronics, TVs, small appliances
- Foam packaging (white or coloured)*
- Glass jars & non-refundable bottles*
- Plastic bags and overwrap*
- Other flexible plastic packaging*
*Residential materials only
Staff will be on hand to help you sort your material and answer questions about recycling in Summerland.
Check www.summerland.ca/recycling or www.recyclebc.ca for more details on what materials are accepted for recycling in our community and how to sort them properly.
Celebrate a Champion Contest!
Know an individual or business who is showing leadership by reducing waste? Tell us about it and you could both win prizes!
Here’s how it works:
- Every day of the week has a waste reduction theme (see the graphic below and visit www.wrwcanada.com for more details) – you can enter one nomination per theme.
- Each nomination should include your name, the name and contact of the person/business you're nominating, the theme day they're nominated for, and a few sentences about why you're nominating them. Photos are great too!
- Send a short email with the information above to email@example.com by 4pm on Monday October 28.
- A winner will be selected for each daily theme, and both they and the person who nominated them will win prizes from our local businesses. The winners will be shared on the District’s website and Facebook account.
- The person being nominated must be a resident of the District of Summerland or be a business working in the District to win a prize.
- Each person entering may enter one nomination for each of the daily themes (total of up to 7).