RECREATION CENTRE FEASIBITLITY & SITE FIT STUDY
Through a Request for Proposal procurement process, the District has retained Carscadden Stokes McDonald Architects, along with their supporting team, to complete a Feasibility and Site Fit Study for the Recreation Centre. This project will be used for grant applications to obtain capital funding support and further decision making.
The objectives of this project are:
- To explore options for the site and facility layout for a new or renovated Recreation Centre including aquatics, fitness centre, group fitness room, multipurpose room, and administration and support spaces. Options will also include child care space and a community gymnasium, which could potentially be phased in.
- To confirm the preferred site and facility layout option.
- To confirm capital costs and operational business plan.
The Final Report will be used for grant applications to obtain capital funding support and further decision making. The Feasibility and Site Fit Study Final Report is expected to be completed in January 2022.
Have Your Say!
A Recreation Centre only happens once every 40-50 years, so community input is critical. The District of Summerland is exploring facility design options at two locations for the replacement of the Summerland Aquatic & Fitness Centre:
- rebuild or renovate on existing site at 13205 Kelly Avenue
- build on the Summerland Arena site at 8820 Jubilee Road
Community engagement took place from November 15 to 29, 2021 through Public Open House sessions, a public survey with 493 respondents, and display boards set up at the Aquatic & Fitness Centre, Arena and District Hall.
Information Display Boards
OPEN HOUSE INFORMATION BOARDS (9.83 MB PDF)
How is the Primary Health Care Centre being considered?
At the February 22, 2021 Council meeting, Council provided staff direction to conduct a Primary Health Care Centre feasibility study separate from the Aquatic & Recreation feasibility. However, the Recreation Centre Feasibility Study and Site Fit project will determine if a new Primary Health Centre could fit alongside the Recreation Center.
Please see the project Engagement Plan for more details around stakeholder and community engagement.
Frequently Asked Questions
See FAQ’s Document for more information about the project.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to request to be added to the email list to receive project updates.
Continue to visit www.summerland.ca/rec-and-health-centre for regular updates on the project.
Follow the District of Summerland on social media: