The Works and Utilities Department is responsible for the administration of 3 cemeteries in Summerland. The locations of these cemeteries are as follows:
- Anglican Cemetery: 10005 Giants Head Road
- Canyon View Cemetery: 10316 Canyon View Road
- Peach Orchard Cemetery: 6300 Ramsay Street
Comprehensive grounds maintenance is carried out at Canyon View Cemetery while only a minimum amount of maintenance is carried out at the Anglican and Peach Orchard Cemeteries. The reasoning for this is that Canyon View Cemetery has a Perpetual Care Fund that has been established to pay for the maintenance. This fund was established by charging a Perpetual Care Fund fee for the purchase of a plot or the installation of a memorial. These monies have been placed in trust and the interest on the trust account is used to offset the cost of maintenance.
CANYON VIEW CEMETERY - SPRING MAINTENANCE
We wish to advise the public that the District of Summerland will commence Spring Maintenance at Canyon View Cemetery on May 2, 2016. Part of the maintenance work will be the removal of offerings that do not meet the requirements of the District of Summerland Cemetery Bylaw 2012-016 as outlined below. The public is asked to assist in this cleanup by removing any offerings that do not meet the following guidelines by April 30, 2016.
Offerings that we are asking you to remove include:
- any offering that is not entirely on the concrete base and at least 50 mm (2 in.) away from the edge of the concrete base;
- offerings that are unsightly, creating a safety hazard, or interfere with the maintenance of the cemetery;
- small offerings, such as necklaces, small stones, or marbles, that may become entangled in the maintenance equipment;
- anything that extends or grows into the landscaped area surrounding an interment site or anything that encroaches into a neighbouring interment site;
- any offering that is made of, or contains, glass or any other easily breakable substance; and
- pointed or sharp offerings that may present a safety hazard if someone falls.
Offerings that the District removes will be photographed, tagged, and stored for sixty days at the Works and Utilities Department. Flowers or floral arrangements that have wilted or have become unsightly will be removed and discarded. Although care will be taken removing offerings, the District is unable to accept responsibility for lost, stolen, or damaged offerings.
Cemetery plots are only available at Canyon View Cemetery. There are no spaces available at Peach Orchard or the Anglican Cemetery other than those spaces that have already been reserved.
Cemetery plots at the Canyon View Cemetery may be reserved by purchasing them at the Works and Utilities Department.
Arrangements for interment and memorial installations may be entrusted to a funeral home or may be personally made by contacting the Works and Utilities Department.
Memorial trees and memorial benches may be placed at Canyon View Cemetery and are available for purchase through the Works and Utilities Department.
Cemetery Fees and Charges (238 KB PDF)
Cemetery Bylaw (646KB PDF)
Canyon View Cemetery Brochure (595KB PDF)
To Contact the Works and Utilities Department: