Waste Reduction Week October 17-25, 2020
Congratulations to the Celebrate a Champion & Community Photo Contest Winners!
This Waste Reduction Week, our community nominated a number of local businesses and showed off photos the great work happening in our community to reduce waste, in line with the daily waste reduction themes. The 2020 Waste Reduction Champion will be recognized with a certificate and their nominator, as well as our Photo Contest Winner, have won great prizes from local businesses.
This year’s Waste Reduction Champion is Replenish Refillery & Zero Waste Store. This innovative store, located inside Bead Trails on North Victoria Rd. in downtown Summerland, stocks bulk volumes of non-toxic products such as hand soap, toilet bowl cleaner, cleaning products, etc. so you can refill a container and pay for the volume you purchase. They even supply containers.
They also sell environmentally-friendly products and reusables such as stainless steel straws and bamboo eating implements. The winning nominator, Sarah S. had this to say: “My daughter loves filling up our jars of dish soap, laundry soap, cleaner and hand soap. We estimate we have saved at least 12 plastic bottles since we discovered the store.”
And, our Community Photo Contest winner is Dina H! Her submission recognizes her partner Lynda’s efforts as a dedicated recycler who always sorts all of their recycling, taking the appropriate items to either the shared bin in their area or the recycle area at the Summerland landfill & recycling depot.
Thanks to all who entered this year’s contests and who continue to reduce waste in Summerland all year.
It’s Waste Reduction Week in Summerland!
Reducing the amount of waste that we send to landfill is important not only for the environment, but for our economy as well. Landfill space is valuable and the more waste we create, the more expensive it is for our community to maintain the landfill over time.
The best way to avoid waste is to Reduce it in the first place by avoiding unnecessary purchases and packaging. The next best option to is to Reuse wherever possible by repurposing items, shopping second-hand, or donating items so they can continue to be used. Finally, Recycle or Compost all materials that are at their end of life. Check out http://wrwcanada.com/en for ideas on how you can reduce waste in your home or business!
To help celebrate Waste Reduction Week, Summerland is hosting the following events:
Organics Product Sale
Fall is the best time of year to replenish your yard with compost. Did you know you can purchase high quality, sustainable, and safe Class A biosolid compost at the Summerland Sanitary Landfill?
The following Organic Related Products are available for sale at the Summerland Sanitary Landfill:
- Compost: 4₵/kilogram
- Wood Mulch: 6₵/kilogram
- Topdressing - 3 parts biosolids compost and 2 parts sand: 6₵/kilogram
$2.00 min. charge, 25% discount loads over 1 metric tonne
A loader will be available Saturday October 17th from 9:00am-2:45pm, for filling trucks and trailers.
Bring your containers/bags and shovel for self loading. If needed, we can load your truck, Monday through Friday 9:00am to 2:45pm (not available between 12 noon and 12:30pm). A truck load of compost is approx. $37.50/pick-up (with the 25% discount) and approx. $25/half pick-up (no discount).
**For the safety of users and staff, please stay in your vehicle during loading**
Celebrate a Champion Contest
Know an individual or business who is showing leadership by reducing waste? Tell us about it and you could both win prizes!
Here’s how it works:
- Every day of the week has a waste reduction theme (see the graphic below and visit www.wrwcanada.com for more details) – you can enter one nomination per theme.
- Each nomination should include your name, the name and contact of the person/business you're nominating, the theme day they're nominated for, and a few sentences about why you're nominating them. Photos are great too!
- Send a short email with the information above to email@example.com by 4pm on Monday October 26.
- A winner will be selected for each daily theme, and both they and the person who nominated them will win prizes from our local businesses. The winners will be shared on the District’s website and Facebook account.
- The person being nominated must be a resident of the District of Summerland or be a business working in the District to win a prize.
- Each person entering may enter one nomination for each of the daily themes (total of up to 7).
Reduce Your Waste Photo Contest
Taking action to reduce your waste? Show us the proof!
This Waste Reduction Week, submit a photo of you reducing your waste and you could win great prizes from local businesses. Here’s how it works:
- Every day of the week has a waste reduction theme (see the graphic below and visit www.wrwcanada.com for more details) – you can enter one photo per theme
- Send your photos to firstname.lastname@example.org by 4pm on Monday October 26
- All entries must be identified with the theme day the photo is related to, the name of the photographer, and contact information of email address, phone number, and mailing address
- A winner will be selected for each daily theme, and the winning photographs will be shared on the District’s website and Facebook account
Summerland Sanitary Landfill Additional Scale and Entrance Upgrades
The District of Summerland is pleased to announce that the second scale and landfill entrance upgrades project is almost compete and is now in use. Landfill users should find their wait time to enter and exit the landfill greatly reduced with the additional scale and separate recycling area access.
When using both the landfill and recycling area please plan your visit so that you access the recycling area first and then proceed into the landfill.
We thank you for your patience during construction and look forward to seeing you soon.