Waste Reduction Week October 15 -21, 2018
It’s Waste Reduction Week in Summerland!
Reducing the amount of waste that we send to landfill is important not only for the environment, but for our economy as well. Landfill space is valuable and the more waste we create, the more expensive it is for our community to maintain the landfill over time.
The best way to avoid waste is to Reduce it in the first place by avoiding unnecessary purchases and packaging. The next best option to is to Reuse wherever possible by repurposing items, shopping second-hand, or donating items so they can continue to be used. Finally, Recycle or Compost all materials that are at their end of life. Check out http://wrwcanada.com/en for ideas on how you can reduce waste in your home or business!
To help celebrate Waste Reduction Week, Summerland is hosting the following events:
FREE Screening of Bag It: Is Your Life Too Plastic?
Wednesday, October 17, 7:00pm (doors open @6:45)
Arena Banquet Room (8820 Jubilee Rd. – upstairs; doors on SE corner of building)
Bag It is an award-winning 78-minute documentary film that follows “everyman” Jeb Berrier as he navigates our plastic world. Jeb is not a radical environmentalist, but an average American who decides to take a closer look at our cultural love affair with plastics.
Jeb looks beyond plastic bags and discovers that virtually everything in modern society—from baby bottles, to sports equipment, to dental sealants, to personal care products—is made with plastic or contains potentially harmful chemical additives used in the plastic-making process. When Jeb’s journey takes a personal twist, we see how our crazy-for-plastic world has finally caught up with us and what we can do about it. Today. Right now.
One-Day Downtown Recycling Depot
Thursday, October 18, 8am-4pm
Municipal Hall Parking Lot (13211 Henry Ave)
Certain items are able to be recycled but must be brought to the Summerland landfill (at no charge). For one day only some of these items can be dropped off at Municipal Hall instead. Come between 8am and 4pm to drop off your:
- Foam packaging (white or coloured)*
- Glass bottles & jars*
- Plastic bags and overwrap*
*Residential materials only
Staff will be on hand to answer questions about recycling in Summerland. Check www.summerland.ca/recycling or www.recyclebc.ca for more details on what materials are accepted for recycling in our community.
Reduce Your Waste Photo Contest!
Taking action to reduce your waste? Show us the proof!
This Waste Reduction Week, submit a photo of you reducing your waste and you could win great prizes from local businesses. Here’s how it works:
- Every day of the week has a waste reduction theme (see the graphic below and visit www.wrwcanada.com for more details) – you can enter one photo per theme
- Send your photos to email@example.com by 4pm on Monday October 22
- All entries must be identified with the theme day the photo is related to, the name of the photographer, and contact information of email address, phone number, and mailing address
- A winner will be selected for each daily theme, and the winning photographs will be shared on the District’s website and Facebook account
- You must be a resident of the District of Summerland to win a prize.
- Each person entering may enter one photograph for each of the daily themes (total of up to 7 photographs).
- All photographs must be original to you, the person entering them.
- By submitting a photograph, you agree that your entry may be published by the District of Summerland in either printed or digital format. Photos that contain an image of a person under the age of 18 must be accompanied by permission from that person’s legal guardian for the publishing of the photograph.