Let’s Make Summerland Canada’s Most Active Community!
Summerland will be participating in the ParticipACTION Community Better Challenge which takes place June 1- 30 and we encouraged residents of Summerland to be active in a safe manner while socially connecting within their communities - whether in person or virtually.
The Community Challenge is open to all organizations and individuals, ultimately recognizing one community as Canada’s Most Active Community and awarding it with $100,000 to support local physical activity initiatives.
Individuals, families and local organizations can track their physical activity on the ParticipACTION App or website. All the minutes tracked by our residents are added to Summerland’s community score. At the end of the challenge, the leading community from each province and territory will be invited to submit an application explaining why they deserve to be Canada’s Most Active Community and win $100,000.
Why should we participate?
Research shows that the pandemic has negatively impacted the health of Canadians, with many moving less and spending more time being sedentary. The Community Better Challenge 2021 will encourage Canadians to be active in a safe manner while socially connecting within their communities.
By participating, you have an opportunity to engage your residents in an activity that will improve their health and well-being and generate pride in their municipality. You will also:
- Build Community Connections between organizations who are hosting events. Your recreation department can work with local partners to build a calendar of events and spread your activities even wider.
- Re-energize communities to get active, especially after so many programs and activities have been paused or cancelled due to COVID-19.
- Encourage people to join local physical activity programming virtually, or safely in person or small groups - in accordance with local public health
- Provide much needed financial support to local organizations through Community Better Challenge grants. Annually we provide hundreds of thousands of dollars for local organizations to run activities in June. Applications are due in February of each year.
- Vie for the crown as the Most Active Community in Canada and receive $100,000 to support local physical activity initiatives.
Tell your residents to Download the ParticipACTION App today
You don’t need to wait until June 1st. The free ParticipACTION app is available in the Google Play and App Store today. Community members who download the app and start tracking will reap the benefits of being motivated to be physically active today and help your community score when June rolls around.